Laura's Blog

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Pea soup day part II


Dave asked me where I got my spicy pea soup recipe. Page 213 of this cookbook! It's also great because it can be made vegan ( just take out the butter, and don't add cream at the end). We did it during Lent and it worked. I also love the emphasis on BEANS and the many environment, waistline, and wallet conscious recipes.

I'll show you how I adapt it for the crock pot:
The night before I put all the ingredients (except the water) into a crock pot. Then in the morning Jason just throws in the water and it starts cooking (on low, 8 hours, but more doesn't hurt it).

5 tsp. bouillon powder
1lb dried green split peas (though you could use lentils if you want)
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup chopped onion ( I just cut up whatever onion i have around, more doesn't hurt it)
1 clove garlic finely chopped(I use like 5... but I'm a garlicy gal)
1 Tbs curry powder
1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper ( I use a whole tsp... but we love hot stuff in this house)
add some salt if your bouillon isn't salty enough for you

* I also like to sneak in cayenne... but I sneak a big pinch into most things I cook...

then just add 10 cups of water (or 5 cups of water, and 5 cups of veggie or chicken broth if you want to eliminate the bouillon) and plug in your crock pot on low all day. When you get home add1/2 c light cream or milk. Jason sometimes purees it with an immersion blender. But you don't have to.
I like to smash a bunch of saltines into my bowl... yum yum yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home